The Last Prophet of Allah (SAW) mentioned in a Hadith, “Verily Allah Ta’ala has prescribed goodness for everything; so when you execute (for Qisaas) do so with dignity and when you slaughter does so in a proper, dignified manner, ensure the blade for slaughter is sharpened and, the slaughtering is carried out swiftly” (Muslim Shareef).
This Hadith demonstrates that we should obey some rules to slaughter an animal for the sake of Allah in the most dignified manner. Some common undesirable acts regarding this observed are given below
- Sharpening of knife in front of animals being slaughtered
- Improper way of skinning an animal
- Slaughtering in clear view of another animal
- Slaughtering in such a way causing pain to animals
The Time of Qurbani:
Qurbani can only be performed during the three days of Eid, namely the 10th, 11th and 12th of Zulhijjah. It is only in these days that slaughtering of an animal is recognized as an act of worship. No Qurbani can be performed in any other days of the year.
Although Qurbani is permissible on each of the three aforesaid days, yet it is preferable to perform it on the first day i.e. the 10th of Zulhijjah.
No Qurbani is allowed before the Eid prayer is over. However, in small villages where the Eid prayer is not to be performed, Qurbani can be offered’ any time after the break of dawn on the 10th of Zulhijjah.
Qurbani can also be performed in the two nights following the Eid day, but it is more advisable to perform it during daytime.
Slaughtering of Animal According to Sunnah :
- Its Sunnah to slaughter the animal of Qurbani with own hands.
However, if he is unable to slaughter the animal himself, or does not want to do so for some reason, he can request another person to slaughter it on his behalf. In this case also, it is more preferable that he, at least, be present at the time of slaughter. However, his absence at the time of slaughter does not render the Qurbani invalid, if he has authorized the person who slaughtered the animal on his behalf.
- To lay the animal of Qurbani with its face towards Qibblah
- Recite the famous verse of Holy Qur’an at the time of Qurbani
I, being upright, turn my face towards the One who has created the heavens and the earth, and I am not among those who associate partners with Allah. ( Al-An’am, 6:79)
- To recite “Bismillah, Allah u Akbar (In the name of Allah , Allah is the greatest )”, this the most essential while slaughtering an animal. If somebody intentionally avoids to recite it when slaughtering an animal, it does not only make his Qurbani unlawful, but also renders the animal haram, and it is not permissible to eat the meat of that animal. However, if a person did not avoid this recitation intentionally, but he forgot to recite it when slaughtering the animal, this mistake is forgiven and both the Qurbani and the slaughter are lawful.
Distribution of Meat:
The animal which is sacrificed by more than one person, the cow or camel, its meat should be distributed equally by weighing the meat not at random or by guess.
Although the person offering a Qurbani can keep all its meat for his own use, yet, it is preferable to distribute one-third among the poor, another one-third among his relatives and then, keep the rest for his personal consumption.
All parts of the sacrificed animal can be used for personal benefit, but none can be sold, nor can be given to the butcher as a part of his wages. If somebody has sold the meat of the Qurbani or its skin, he must give the accrued price as sadaqah to a poor man who can receive Zakah.